Wednesday, May 9, 2007

mobility

I thought the text was rather interesting, actually, considering me as a socio-phobic (at least, to some extent, hehe).

Wearable computers at this time and age seems like, not perhaps sci-fi, but at least like a pretty excentric idea. (Note: I remember that Levi's or Diesel had some special jacket in a very limited edition, where all kinds of music players and stuff were integrated. This was around the early 2000's definitely, and I haven't heard of it since.)

It's hard not to agree that the cell phone revolution definitely has given birth to a whole new way of opening up informational networking and open communication. Personally I don't use my cell phone very often (I don't have a home phone, so it does take it's place but nevertheless I don't have to use it that much) but I sure am relying on the fact that I can have it with me anywhere, which basically is the reason I don't have a "land phone" at home.

Regarding the meeting appliances developed for mobile phones, I personally, feel neglected, kind of. I feels strange having a phone, which is made for communication purposes, and not being UTTERLY dependent on it, but it feels worse seeing how social exhibitionism has turned out to not only be marketable, but a "necessity", of sorts, for this generation. Rant. Ignore if you must.

In many senses the concept of the mobile "phone" isn't at all relevant in this text since Rheingold relies on its (in some cases, possible) application(s), and not on its function (as a simple communications device). And that's what so fascinating about mobile phones, they do everything except ring people (because then you get cancer and die. sry, late.)

Do I think the "mobile revolution" is good or bad? Well, diplomatic as I am, I will just say that everything gets the purpose which we apply on this certain object, and as such the cell phone has, for now, proven to be a low-tech but socially interesting phenomena, which definitely has a chance to change our notion of communications as well as social structures.

No comments: